Scottish toast isn’t just a breakfast rather you can add this recipe as a dinner time side dish on a cold night
* 1 loaf thickly sliced bread (or unsliced bread)
* 1 box oats (quick oats are fine)
* 8 eggs
* 2 cups whole milk
* 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
* 1 pinch salt
* 2 tablespoons butter
* 2 tablespoons canola oil
* powdered sugar or confectioners’ sugar (for dusting)
- If loaf is unsliced, cut it into thick slabs.
- Set out the sliced bread beside the stove.
- Pour oats onto a big plate, and layer a fine amount of them for dipping the toast into.
- Beat eggs, milk, salt and vanilla in a bowl deep enough to hold a slice of your bread.
- Put butter and oil in a saucepan and let oil/butter come to a good heat, not too high but not too low.
- Dip a slice of bread in egg mixture, let it absorb wet mixture until it is saturated but not too soggy.
- Put slice in oats and cover and turn to cover again.
- Place it in butter/oil mixture and cook on both sides until golden.
- Set the slices that are done on a plate lined with paper towel.
- If you are cooking for a few people, transfer to cookie sheet in low-heat oven until all slices are cooked.
- Transfer to serving plate and sprinkle with powdered sugar, or serve with honey or syrup.